Responding to Truman State President Darrell Krueger’s call for faith-based organizations to assist Truman students, Ekklesia announced the establishment of the Ekklesia Annual Scholarship which began funding an annual scholarship of $500.00 beginning in academic year 2009-2010.
The scholarship was made possible through Ekklesia’s advisors, Dr. Barry Poyner, professor of Communication, and Cathy Poyner, instructor in Accounting. Criteria include: 1) active member of a philanthropic organization such as Ekklesia, a non-denominational campus ministry chartered by the university and affiliated with the Kirksville Church of Christ and 2) preference will be given to students who demonstrate financial need.
If you would like to contribute to our scholarship program, this link is provided: https://apps.truman.edu/alumni/givingform?donationArea=63
Cathy Poyner, co-advisor to Ekklesia, retired spring 2017. A reception honored her on May 8. Gifts in her honor to the Ekklesia scholarship are welcomed. She has taught Information Systems and Accounting at Truman for a total of 27 years. She advised Phi Beta Lambda for 24 years and the last three years Beta Alpha Psi. She is now a senior financial analyst at A.T. Still University.
Watch for details for online submissions for Foundation Scholarship Applications early in the spring semester. The deadline for submitting applications is usually March 1. Additionally, a scholarship is being offered through the Heart of America Leadership Training for Christ convention. Incoming freshman Dane Bossert was awarded this scholarship in 2016 and was renewed in 2017.
Past recipients include Andrew Hansen, Nathan Vickers, Landon Anderson, Adam Priest, Emily Mahnken, Carmolee Patt, Sarah Pauley, Jordan Weichelt, Kristin Flannigan, Daniel Hansen, Kaytlin Tippin, Maddie Kusmec, and Aidan Roam.
In 2015 a scholarship honoring Dr. Frank & Josephine Wortham was awarded to ATSU medical student Gabe Collins. This $250.00 scholarship was meant to honor an osteopathic student and wife from Texas who were responsible for establishing the church of Christ in Kirksville in 1941.